Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: digital transfers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member lyonlag's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi
    I am currently working on my first film, and I, of course, want to shoot it all on super 8. The trouble is I want to be able to add a creative sound element (not nec. dialogue), and be able to edit the film with ease.
    I am thinking of transfering the film to DV format to edit and add sound. I was just wondering if this was common, if there are any specifics I should know about ahead of time, etc. Also, I was wondering if I should get prints developed in addition to the DV transfer.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bigmasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 5th, 2004
    Posts
    170
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    A poor mans transfer is just to project the material in a dark room and shoot it with a videocamera. It sounds like the quality wouldn't be good, but if you have a good projector, the rooms is completely dark and you adjust the camera and the projector perfectly... the result is really good. If you would like to have a best result it will cost you a lot ...and I mean a lot!! I don't know the name of the procedure in english but I think it's called something like "cinetransfer" and there is a lot of companies who will do it, but if you don't have a real budjet for the movie ...forget about it and do the transfer at home.

    - Jari -

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Pro 8mm have a service whereby they telecine your film onto either mini DV or Digi-beta format. They do package deals too if you have an idea of how long your film will be.

    For example, 4 cartridges of Super8mm film (=10 mins), including processing, prep and clean and telecine to miniDV costs $304. Just make sure you work out your shooting ratio...

    http://www.pro8mm.com/

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 16, 2004 07:32 AM: Message edited by: Kev O. ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would stay away from Pro8mm!! It is my opinion that they are crooks and frauds.

    Here are a few places that you can try....

    www.posthouse.com
    www.fsft.com

    Where are you located??

    Good Luck

  5. #5
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, I would stay away from Pro8mm. I would, however, encourage you to use CinePost (i.e. Posthouse) in Georgia. I used them to transfer 70 minutes of K-40 (28 rolls) to miniDV this past fall, and including shipping back to me (NYC) and the cost of the miniDV tapes, it only came to about $350 and I was extremely pleased with the transfer. But then again, I don't know what you intend to do with the film you are shooting, and so, perhaps the dark room with a video camera idea would work just fine. But if you're going for the best quality, go with posthouse.

    Tayman Strahorn

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Kev Owens's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    701
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ah, well perhaps you guys could help me also. I'm located in the U.K as you can see, and I will also want my super 8 stock processed and telecined onto a digital format for editing...

    would these places cater for european filmmakers?

  7. #7
    Inactive Member becomedeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2001
    Posts
    64
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't see why they wouldn't work with you because you are in the U.K., but I can't be sure. Go to their website and give them a call. When I used them to transfer my footage I called them repeatedly and asked a great deal of questions, which they were more than happy to answer. So I'm sure the two of you can work something out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •